BOOGIE WOOGIE AND MORE
Daniel Smith: 'Boogie pianist, composer, arranger, poet, teacher - personable, authoritative & 100% blues!!'
Welcome to a website crammed with boogie woogie, resources, originality and much much more...
One of the most varied, original and entertaining keyboards performers you'll find.
1) He has form - his family's jazz/boogie piano heritage goes back to the 1930s. And is he in a rush? You bet he is!
2) He didn't start performing 'live' until his late twenties!
3) He 'retired' for 3 years in his forties;
4) He's alive, kicking, writing, playing, collaborating, educating... and ready to share his boogie woogie with you right here! So read on, listen on... Daniel's passion is to share the joy of the music he loves.
We hope you enjoy his website. 'Viva el boogie!'
CADOGAN HALL, LONDON
BOOGIE WOOGIE FESTIVAL
(with Ben & Tom Waters )
BBC PEBBLE MILL
LIVE SESSION with MOJO BUFORD (ex-Muddy Waters)
(on Paul Jones show )
THE 100 CLUB,
(with Ian Jennings poised )
DANIEL & CONCEPCIÓN ARRAYÁ
After their performance 'Lady Sings The Blues' at the Andalicia Canta Concert, Huelva, Spain.
> WHAT UK, USA AND SPANISH PRESS SAY ABOUT DANIEL.
1) BBC RADIO 2 - PAUL JONES UK
'When Daniel Smith releases an album, it's always a good thing... Keys To The Highway is a very, very fine album.'
2) BLUES IN BRITAIN UK
'The world's greatest Anglo-Scottish-Dutch-Indonesian boogie pianist... a serious challenger to Jools Holland as the UK's number 1....'
3) BLUES REVIEW USA 'For jump blues, look no further than The Daniel Smith Blues Band.'
4) GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER UK 'Dazzlingly accomplished boogie woogie and blues piano.'
5) LA HORA DEL BLUES SPAIN
'Daniel Smith is a musician with a great future in front of him… he moves with an easy fluency… his CD has nine stupendous numbers, all his own compositions… he has the ability to compose magnificent pieces - the product of a fine musical sensibility.'
[From radio review of 'Keys to the Highway'.]
6) RADIO (CADENA) SER SPAIN - 'PIANIST DANIEL SMITH AND SOPRANO CONCEPCIÓN ARRAYÁ FILL THE AIRWAVES WITH SWING'
'When music stems from deep within, miraculous & magical things occur. That's what pianist Daniel Smith and soprano Concepción Arrayá jointly produce. Together, they presented us with a mini acoustic performance-extraordinaire which will be forever remembered. They graced us with exceptional interpretations that have whetted our appetite for more.'
7) 'THE STORY OF BOOGIE-WOOGIE: A LEFT HAND LIKE GOD' (Peter J Sylvester) UK
'Daniel Smith...is seen...as the preeminent player in Britain. Standard boogie-woogie numbers (‘Swanee River Boogie’ etc) and blues are combined with his own compositions into an entertainingly presented repertoire underscored with a dry understated wit.'
[from Peter J Sylverter's historical book]
MORE QUOTES AND REVIEWS IN THE 'PRESS' SECTION!'
> DANIEL'S FACT-FILE.
1) ALBUM RELEASES 14 album releases! With 3 more very soon!
2) ARTISTS PLAYED WITH - THE VERY BEST
15 great musicians (with their incredible associations ) that Daniel has had the privilege of playing & recording with includes :
Alan Barnes (multiple BBC award-winner), Mojo Buford (Muddy Waters), Eugene Hideaway Bridges (USA), Tim Elliott (Blues'n'Trouble), Alan Glen (Yardbirds, Dr Feelgood), Michael Kaeshammer (Canada), Paul Lamb (The Kingsnakes), Big Joe Louis (UK), Peter Miles (BB King, Eric Clapton), Pete Pritchard (Chuck Berry), Dave Swift (Jools Holland), Sandy Tweeddale (Blues'n'Trouble), Ben Waters, Axel Zwingenberger.
3) AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS 5 British Blues Foundation nominations, 'Best UK Blues Keyboardist'; nominated Jools Holland-presented 'Boisdale London : Best Boogie Woogie Pianist of the Year' 2017; received a special award from MS Society UK for his fund-raising work for the charity via CD sales and special concerts.
4) CHICAGO BLUES ARTISTS IN THE UK Toured with visiting USA Chicago blues masters, Dave Specter (guitar) and incomparable ex-Muddy Waters harp player, Mojo Buford...
pictured above with DS & Paul Jones, BBC Radio.
5) BOOGIE WOOGIE PIANO ROOTS
44 years! That's how long DS has been playing boogie, since his mother first showed him left-hand 'walking bass' aged 8.
And the roots run deep. Mother's father led his own jazz band on piano, Indonesia (see photo) and DS especially inspired by his Dutch-Indonesian uncle on frequent visits to Holland - religiously taping him & learning his riffs, bass lines and licks.
6) FESTIVALS - UK AND INTERNATIONAL Here are 10 Daniel's performed at, amongst many more:
Bydgoszsz Blues (Poland), Cheltenham Jazz (UK), Colne Blues (UK), Cork Jazz (Ireland), Edinburgh Jazz/Blues, Isle of Mann (Blues), La Roquebrou Boogie Woogie (Fra), London International Boogie, Shetland Blues Fest, Wrexham Blues (Wales).
7) INFLUENCES - BOOGIE, JAZZ, NEW ORLEANS AND BLUES
Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, Meade Lux Lewis, Axel Zwingenberger... Memphis Slim, Otis Spann, Rooseveldt Sykes...
Gene Harris, Ramsey Lewis & Bobby Timmons; New Orleans - James Booker & Dr John...
Live sessions, interviews and airplay on BBC National Radio2, Jazz FM & local radio throughout the UK, live sessions/interviews (in Spanish!) on Radio/Cadena SER in Spain & recent airplay of his most recent releases in over 20 countries, including The USA, Australia, Germany and The UK.
9) THE DANIEL SMITH BLUES BAND
The DSBB was founded in November 1999 and immediately released the 'Southside Boogie' album, appeared on BBC Radio2 and embarked on well over a decade of constant touring and recording. The DSBB has backed several American and other star artists. The band has always had various flexible line-ups and still exists, ready for action.
10) TUITION - SHARING THE BLUES VIA TEACHING THE BLUES
Daniel is an inspiring, authoritative, experienced and wonderfully incisive teacher of blues, boogie woogie & jazz piano. See his 'SOBAB - School Of Blues And Boogie' section for more info about his various 'live' tuition sessions in Huelva, ondon and Edinburgh; as well as his and 'distance' piano tuition packages & all-inclusive 'SOBAB' in the sun packages on the Costa De La Luz... and more...